Thursday, May 9, 2013

The same things became different things.

Well, I didn't get in to medical school. I was, as I mentioned, placed on the "hold list" which is somewhat of an improvement, but I did not make it to the wait list. While discouraging, I'm not yet done.

The good news is that it all seemed to crystallize for the better when my letter came. Even though I was disappointed with the outcome, I finally could pursue new avenues without a fear of having to change mid-course. This was a relief, but it doesn't make things any easier.

I've decided to apply to various research and healthcare positions in the area in order to further bolster my application. I really have no idea when or where I will find one of these positions, but there seems to be a decent number that I am qualified for. I can only say that I have applied and that I hope to hear from any one of them soon.

On another front, I've decided to become a Big Brother. From everything I've heard, it's an amazing experience. However, I'm completely terrified right now of being a failure. These kids need a good role model and someone that they look up to. I know that I'm not really successful yet, though I don't think I'm a failure by any means, so I hope that I will be able to provide them with a fun and positive influence that they wouldn't otherwise have. I've spoken to a friend about his experience with the program and he said that he was terrified the first time too. Hopefully I will get over the jitters and have a happy and successful relationship with my Little.

And, of course, the Royals are winning. This may be the greatest part of the whole thing. It's hard for me to really enjoy the Royals winning right now because I feel like everyone is waiting for them to fall on their collective face. While I'm not ruling this out, I also think that this Royals team is fairly well equipped to compete and that all of these WAR/added wins over the offseason equations are complete bullshit. Just look at the Jays and how bad they are. They were supposedly the "winners" of the offseason. I know that Jose Reyes is hurt, but that won't change everything. It will be interesting to see how that plays out over the rest of the year. I mean, the Marlins were terrible last year and they essentially just traded for their core players, aside from Giancarlo Stanton.

The pitching has been the brightest part of the Royals thus far, but I have faith that the hitting will perk up. The real problems are these: Butler is slumping, Hosmer is unlucky, Moose started slow, Perez hasn't been overly impressive, Frenchy sucks and Getz sucks. Now, I have faith that four of these six things will improve. You may be able to guess which ones those are. The unfortunate problem with Frenchy/Getz is that the management seems to believe in them. This means that they are able to be bad for longer than they should be allowed. In reality, Frenchy is so bad these days that I wish we would just flat-out DFA him. I was hopeful coming into the season that he could swing back towards his 2011 season stats, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Getz on the other hand has been terrible at getting on base and has marginally greater power numbers since his swing changes two offseasons ago. It seems like he is always going to be a below-average 2B value-wise, so it seems prudent to either give Giavotella an extended look until the ASG or let Johnson take over until we can acquire a suitable replacement.

I do realize that it is only May 9th, but these are the things I think right now. I have not ruled out any possibility yet. Perhaps on June 1 Frenchy will be hitting .290/.320/450 or something acceptable like that, but I strongly doubt it. If Getz and Frenchy do not improve, and quickly, they are very at risk of being replaced.

On a happier note, we should have a decent amount of spending money for next year with all of the positions not named second base or right field sticking around. We could very much use a power-hitting right fielder, though those usually cost a pretty penny. We will have to wait and see.

Hesitantly Yours,
Brandan

No comments:

Post a Comment